How do I book?
Our office number is 0207 193 7158 but we’re often out delivering cycling sessions so please leave a message and we’ll get back wheely fast!
What are “cycling sessions”?
A fantastic way learn about cycling safely and confidently to maximise your comfort and enjoyment. If ever there was a cycling equivalent to a driving test then this would be it! We deliver to the national standard for cycle training
Who are cycling sessions for?
They are for people who;
- cycle regularly and are experienced
- drive vehicles (cars, vans, taxis, lorries, buses)
- haven’t cycled for a while or would like to learn to ride a bike
- want to learn how to more safely cycle on London roads,
- have families with children (who are able to support their head and/or children over the age of about 8 (Year 4)
We specialise in family sessions and delivering sessions for employees. We also provide sessions for toddlers on balance bikes. The only requirement is an ability to walk!
What will I learn about?
- Cycling more confidently with greater awareness.
- Road positioning and communicating with other road users.
- Making decisions to maximise safety for yourself and other road users
- Deciding whether or not it is safe to use a cycle lane
- Awareness of hazards and road users all around you
- Basic bike safety check (the A, B, C, D check)
Why do we think cycling sessions are important?
We all have varying perceptions of cycling on roads. Media stories focus on what sells copy which polarises the public debate. There are increasing numbers of cyclists which means increasing numbers of road users. As someone who cycles occasionally or regularly we think it important that you have at least an awareness of basic principles ranging from hazard awareness to optimal road positioning at junctions roundabouts and complex road systems.
As there is no “cycling test” equivalent to a motorcycle test we think all cyclists and drivers should learn about the basic principles of sharing roads with other users.
How long do cycling sessions last?
We can be as flexible as you like and can do sessions over a lunch hour, before work, after work or during the day. We try to aim for a session lasting 2 hours.
How many cycling sessions will I need ?
This really varies and more to do with your confidence and technique rather than solely your ability to “ride a bike”, we have experienced cyclists who just need one session, experienced cyclists who come back to us to brush up as its amazing how little habits creep back in. Complete beginners usually need a minimum of 2 sessions. Basically we work around you and your needs.
Where will I go ?
Every session is tailored around you and your needs. Every first session begins off the road and then we teach in and around your neighbourhood. We can then progress, if necessary, to helping you plan routes eg to work, for recreation or family days out. We can also act as a guide for recreational journeys and can accompany you to work whilst you try out routes and learn new techniques.
What do i need to bring ?
Essential: Yourself and warmer clothes than you would normally cycle in (depending on the weather) and a completed registration form (we email this out to you)
Optional: a bike, helmet, hi vis, mobile phone, water, snacks
What does it cost ?
All we request is a donation to Wheely Tots within your budget in return for our time delivering the session. By way of a guide on the “open market” hourly rates vary from around £25 upwards depending on the quality of the session and experience of the instructor. Depending on your circumstances free sessions are available. We accept cash/card on the day or a bank transfer in advance.
OK, what next?
Complete the form below or just drop us an email to email@example.com to book a cycling session or get more information. Our office number is 0207 193 7158 but we’re often out delivering cycling sessions so please leave a message and we’ll get back wheely fast!
Here are the bikeability levels and we observe you to give an indication of your ability levels. There is no pass or fail and we all know that there is always possible to improve!
Some learn quicker than others, but no matter how much time it takes you, everyone has the opportunity to improve on-road cycling skills and riding confidence.
Typically delivered in a traffic-free environment, where you will learn basic bike handling skills and improve your riding confidence. We teach elements of this at wheelytots.com/toddlers
- Fit your helmet correctly.
- Check your bike is ready to ride.
- Get on and off your bike safely.
- Ride your bike and make it go where you want it to.
- Avoid objects through good bike control.
- Use your gears effectively.
- Control the bike with one hand.
- Observe all around you whilst cycling.
- Stop safely and quickly if you need to.
Typically delivered on quiet residential streets close to your home, school or place of work. You will learn how to cycle confidently on-road, amongst real traffic.
- Start and finish an on-road journey.
- Pass parked cars or slower moving vehicles and side roads.
- Make a u-turn.
- Identify and react to potential hazards.
- Communicate your intentions with other road users and pedestrians as appropriate.
- Use road positioning effectively.
- Use junctions, including turning left and right in and out of minor roads.
- Use the Highway Code and make decisions on safe riding strategy
Typically delivered on roads with larger volumes of traffic travelling at higher speeds. You will learn how to negotiate more complex junctions on a route of your choice, usually your journey to school or work.
- Cycle almost anywhere using complex road junctions and features such as roundabouts, multi-lane roads and traffic lights.
- Plan your route using any road.
- Understand driver blind spots and how to avoid them.
- Filter through queuing or slower moving traffic.
- Identify and react to hazardous road surfaces.