London is generally considered high risk in terms of bike theft. Here’s our top tips for keeping your bike safe
- Lock up your bike in a well-lit, non-isolated area, ideally near other bikes
- Lock both wheels and the frame to an immovable object (e.g. bike stand)
- Use a secure rated lock. Two locks will deter a thief from tackling your bike, and using two different types (e.g. D-lock and a chain) are an extra deterrent.
- Lock up your bike so it’s difficult to manoeuvre. This prevents leverage point where tools can be inserted
- Remove accessories and quick release parts
- Don’t lock it so it can be lifted over a post; signs can be unscrewed
- Don’t let your lock lie on or near the ground; it can be smashed
- Register your bike. The sticker will put thieves off. It will also make it easier to recover if stolen.
- The value of each of your locks should be at least 10% of the value of your bike